NEW SEARCH: Sierra Vista United Methodist Church in San Angelo,
Texas is seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of Director of
Music Ministries. This position oversees all aspects of music ministry for
adults, youth, and children.
San Angelo is a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people and is the urban hub for much of West Central Texas. Located on the west side of the city, Sierra Vista UMC is the largest United Methodist congregation in the District with approximately 500 worshippers each week.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, with an expected salary range of $55,000-$60,000.
- A demonstrated commitment to serving Christ and the Church, with a desire to work in a team ministry environment to glorify God and enhance the worship life of the congregation through the musical talents and gifts of its members
- A congenial personality, even temperament, good interpersonal communication skills, and professional appearance
- A desire to help people of all ages express their faith through music, including children and youth
- Minimum of two years’ experience in church-related music ministry that involves the determination of appropriate musical selections for a wide variety of age groups in both vocal and instrumental settings, including handbell choirs
- Strong skills in planning, organizing, team building, and worship development
- College degree required; music degree and expertise in sacred music and hymnody are strongly preferred
Detailed Job Responsibilities
- Conduct music and lead congregational singing for regular worship services and other special services as needed
- Direct and conduct weekly rehearsals for the adult choir and ensure adult choir participation in regular worship services throughout the year
- Oversee music praise teams, handbell choirs, chime choirs, and other similar musical groups
- Assist the pastors in planning and selecting worship music in support of the overall worship plan, with regular participation by all musical groups
- Organize special music presentations during regular worship services and other special services, including soloists, small groups, instrumentalists, etc.
- Ensure organ and/or piano accompanists are available to perform at worship services
- Recruit and develop lay leaders of music groups where appropriate, providing training, supervision, nurture, and support to all volunteer leaders of music groups or teams
- Recruit members of various music groups and choirs to increase membership of such groups, as well as to increase participation of current members
- Provide pastoral care to all musical groups, communicating needs to the clergy, and cultivating a strong, caring ministry of group members to one another
- Develop and submit the annual music budget and monitor adherence to the approved music budget throughout the year
- Collaborate with the technology assistant in the preparation of musical worship service communications, providing lyrics for projection as well as announcements regarding any upcoming musical events
- Monitor and ensure proper maintenance of all musical instruments
- Maintain library of printed music to ensure copies are available for all participants
- Assist pastors or staff with planning music for special church events outside regular worship services
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Director of Family and Children’s Ministries in planning and delivering music for children’s worship services and related events
- Work with the Director of Family and Children’s Ministries and the Youth Director to establish and maintain a children’s choir and a youth choir
- Attend Worship Committee meetings
- This position is supervised by the Senior Pastor
- This position provides supervision and communication to the accompanists
Résumés and inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been identified.